Friday, January 13, 2012

Diaper Bag using a pattern

I finished this diaper bag for my step-daughter a few weeks ago, but really couldn't show it off until I gave it to her at her shower.

I used Butterick Pattern B5005, but made a few changes.  I haven't used a store-bought pattern in years and now I know why.  They are a pain in the butt.  I discovered that I have little patience for the extra steps of cutting out the pattern pieces, then laying them out, and then cutting the fabric. But, patterns are necessary.  I like to follow a pattern the first time I try one, but after that I make changes.
This pattern was easy enough to put together.  I will definitely make this bag again, but with changes.  And, I probably won't use the pattern.


I changed the side pockets by adding elastic gathering.  I didn't like the idea of more ribbons to tie or the open pockets like the pattern choices. You might be able to see the side pockets in the pattern picture above.

I also added outside pockets to both front and back sides of the bag.  The pattern only called for pockets on one side.

The inside of the bag is a matching fabric of polka-dots.  I added a hook for keys, since I hate digging for my car keys in my purses and bags.


Here's a look at the inside of the bag with all the extras I made to go along with it.

I made a little "binky" bag, a changing pad, 3 burp rags, and a wipes cover to go with the set.

 I think she liked it!!

2 comments:

  1. Omg! Making this bag now and I'm SOOO stuck on the darts for the side pockets! Can't figure it out to save my life! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I made this bag for my daughter. I remember the instructions included were awful. I don't remember anything about the darts for the side pockets. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    I do remember the directions for installing the zipper were incorrect and I ended up installing the zipper backwards.

    ReplyDelete